ChemCentre is today recognised as the State’s premier analytical chemistry facility.
However, ChemCentre has a long history, and traces its origins of protecting and supporting the community all the way back to the 1890s and the Western Australian gold rush.
With the passing of the Explosives Act 1895, the State Government appointed the first official Government Analyst, along with the Government Assayer. In 1933, these two offices were amalgamated and later incorporated in the then Mines Department, After being located at various times in Perth and Fremantle, the Government Chemical Laboratories was formed and located in East Perth in 1944.
In 1950, the laboratory gained accreditation under the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA)- and ChemCentre remains the longest continuously NATA registered laboratory in operation in Australia.
In 1988 the organisation was renamed Chemistry Centre (WA) and its operations focus shifted to permit work for private clients as well as government agencies.
The Chemistry Centre (WA) Act 2007 established ChemCentre as a statutory authority, and in 2009 ChemCentre moved to its current purpose-built premises on the Curtin University campus, neighbouring CSIRO.
ChemCentre is proud to continue the tradition of the State Government’s first chemists providing high quality scientific services to protect, support and develop the community.